What if you want to refer to a range of cells in multiple worksheets in your workbook. For example, how can you get a cell to return the sum of each cell A1 on the first three worksheets in your workbook? If the worksheets are named Alan1, Alan2 and Alan 3 then you would create the following formula:
To calculate the sum of all cells in the range A1 through C5 on each worksheet, you would use the following formula:
This notation can be hard to remember. With the mouse, it is easy to build this formula with the following steps:
- Click on the cell where you want to enter your formula.
- Then enter an = sign and the first part of the function, followed by an opening parenthesis. For the examples given above, you would enter =SUM(.
- Click on the sheet tab of the first sheet in the range.
- Next hold down the Shift key as you click on the sheet tab of the last sheet in the range.
- Use the mouse to select all the cells in the range on the visible worksheet.
- Press Enter.